The report Who is being allocated social housing in London? analyses 2010/11 CoRE lettings data from local authorities and housing associations.
The report's main findings are:
- In 2010/11 the overall proportion of lets to foreign nationals in London was 11 per cent.
- 45 per cent of all social lets in Ealing were to foreign nationals.
- 6 per cent of social lets in Newham were to foreign nationals.
- A large number of lettings were not recorded on CoRE.
- Councils apply concept of 'local connection' in allocations inconsistently.
The report has been picked up by Labour MP Frank Field who spoke on Radio 4's Today programme, making the link between its findings and his private member's bill that seeks to give 'good citizens' additional priority for social housing.
On Twitter, Peter Brown, CEO of Herefordshire Housing described the report and media attention as "groundwork for the publication of the Allocation of Accommodation:guidance for LAs".